Varicose Veins: Simply Cosmetic or Health Issue?
Causes and Symptoms:
- Sex – Women develop varicose veins much more than men do.
- Pregnancy – As the body works hard to support a developing fetus, the blood increases in some areas but unfortunately decreases in the legs and pelvis.
- Family History – Varicose veins can run in families.
- Obesity – Weight adds pressure to the veins and can cause them to function abnormally.
- A Sedentary Lifestyle – Blood doesn’t ﬂow as well if you remain standing or seated for long periods of time each day.
The symptoms of varicose veins are mostly obvious—you may see dark spots, bulging veins and/or visible veins that are blue or purple in color. Some symptoms that may not be as obvious are: aching in the legs, itching around veins, burning, throbbing, cramping and more. To prevent varicose veins it’s advisable to watch your weight, keep an active lifestyle, elevate your legs and move around/change positions often at work and at home.
Here at The Surgi Centre, we oﬀer a convenient, same day procedure with an aﬀordable payment plan to match. Check with your insurance plan to see if the consultation or procedure (or both) can be covered. Let us help you get rid of unsightly and dangerous varicose veins once and for all.
Located in the Centreville Medical Centre:
#68 Collins Avenue Centreville Nassau, Bahamas